Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The "R" word will always have power.

The "R" word is NOT empowering.  The idea that "words only have as much power as you give them" is a whole line of BS used by those who just want to be given permission to say whatever they want.   The "R" word will always be negative.  How could it ever have a reason to be used in polite society  for any other purpose than to hurt others?  How could someone even think that it would be ok in the first place?  The "R" word has power regardless of how strong a person can seem.  No one can truly let it just roll off.  It becomes a stigma,  because no one wants to be seen as less than they are, regardless of their mental abilities.  But the stigma affects everyone.

Every day I look into my kids eyes who are differently abled in one way or another.  My 2yo who can't quite talk and we don't know why.  We don't know what his disability is that is keeping him from being able to express himself.  I have nightmares about kids who hear adults repeating it or saying it as though it is any other word equivalent to "rock" use it towards one of my kids to make them feel less.
The "R" word hits me like a brick.  It rattles my insides.   The "R" word is powerful. Any word that is used to hurt, abuse or torment another has power.  My 11, 9 and 2 year old children don't have the maturity to let words like that just roll off.

Heath felt the stigma.   What he felt could have lost him a beautiful child.  I'm proud of him, excited that he sees her as the beautiful gift God created.

Compassion.  Learn it.   Live by the old adage, "if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all".


Heath White On his daughters Down Syndrome.

No comments: