Thursday, May 05, 2005

Alice in Wonderland

So yesterday I went to costco and found a large amount of old treasury books for a pretty inexpensive price. All classics I want to read to caitlin. So we picked them up and started to read Alice in Wonderland. I'm shocked at how she is sitting and listening to the detail of this book. Its a fairly large chapter book. The girl loves to read so I figured I would try something larger. Today she asked questions about the book, like what are tears. I was shocked at the question assuming she knew what they were. I guess we had only mentioned tears as crying. I'm sure I've said, "no tears please". But then again maybe not. So I explained to her what tears were. Which led to a whole conversation on food and where food comes from and how cookies are made and driven to the grocery store. Yes I know an odd tangent. We've also been working on dot to dots today. She loves them and its helping her with the larger numbers she confuses. She gets so excited because she fixes "the broken" house, or the broken clouds. Its cute. Christian started to get pretty fussy, because he misses his sister while we are doing school. So we are taking a break so they can play(which they are now laughing at each putting christians pants on each others heads they are so funny together). Also yesterday I found, caitlins reading curriculum for next year. I've decided to use HOP for reading. And A Beka for math, bible, and writing. Science we can make up as we go along. Shes very much into bugs so I think we can work on that and do some stars things or maybe animals. This portion I think we can keep child led, because I want her to stay interested. And signing time for our foreign language. Now I just need to come up with a calendar for the year and figure out what days we will cover what subjects. EEEKS! I guess I do have all summer :)

So we finished up school today and it was a good day. We finished up calendar and then played the letter factory game, its such a fun game and my daughter loves it. Its a great phonics teacher. There are two levels to the game. She is definitely learning the sounds of the letters and also which letter comes before and after. Also we got the imagination desk
and she loves that also. It helps with writing learning letters and sounds and listening skills. Its a great idea. My daughter loves it, and there are three options, coloring, games, and music. We finished up with fun toe and fingernail painting, now its mommy laundry time. Catch up with us tomorrow to see what fun things we are off to do.

No comments: